The cycle of life... explaining it to kids

1 Comments »
This week has been especially difficult for me. Yesterday we said goodbye to our beloved cat Jake. I adopted her almost 18 years ago when she was just 6 weeks old and have had her my entire adult life. I simply can't remember life before her, she was my very first pet, I got her when I moved into my first apartment and started University. She's been with me through so many major events - the births of all three of our girls, 6 changes of address, and way too many things to list here. Her death has been hard on our girls as well. Explaining to Cali, our 5 year old, that Jakie wouldn't be 'waking up' or coming back home was difficult. We all cope in different ways with death and I thought it would make more sense if each of us did our own thing to express our goodbyes. Rylie, the creative artist in the family, made a beautiful beaded necklace for Jake to wear... Cali made a card and showed it to Jake and insisted I take a picture of her "reading" it to her. I wrote a poem and bought a Sedum bush to plant in her memory. I think it's important that children are allowed and encouraged to do what feels most comfortable for them when the time comes to say goodbye to a loved one, even of the animal variety. We had a small funeral and each of us said a few kind words and placed something special in her grave. Cali placed a heart shaped rock and her card. As time passes the grief will lessen for all of us. We will always remember our precious Jakie with the fondest memories and we are blessed to have had her for so long.

Photobucket
share on: facebook
8:34 PM

1 Response to "The cycle of life... explaining it to kids"

Wendy Says :
July 22, 2009 at 6:03 AM

I'm so sorry! Your post made me cry :(

Post a Comment